BizTalk BAM Portal 400 Bad Request

Posted: July 29, 2008  |  Categories: BizTalk Uncategorized

Ok, in the past few weeks I’ve been travelling a lot. One trip was amazing, my honeymoon, the other was very unexpected and sad, and after that there was a business trip for a new project.

Anyways, now that I am back and ready to blog again, I thought I’d talk about a peculiar issue I found about a month ago with the BAM Portal. All was working fine, and then suddenly BAM! It wasn’t (pun intended). Here is a printscreen of the portal page:

BAM Portal critical failure
BAM Portal critical failure

Not a nice error to run into. Luckily this was still in QA. I had a look in the server’s event log, and found this error logged:

  (BAMPortal.navbar_ascx) Void OnPreRender(System.EventArgs):
System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 400: Bad Request.
ientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Portal.DataAccess.BamDefinition.get_Views()
   at BAMPortal.navbar_ascx.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)


I googled it, sure that there were tens of posts telling me what to do, but no luck there. So I started investigating, and eventually used bm.exe to get the configuration out of BAM. In a command prompt, browse to the Tracking folder under the usual BizTalk installation. Then run:


bm.exe get-config -FileName:bamconfig.xml


This extracts the BAM configuration and saves it in the specified file (bamconfig.xml in this case). On perusing the file I noticed the following global property:


<GlobalProperty Name=”BAMVRoot>http://BTSVR1:80/BAM</GlobalProperty>


So what happened here was that the web site where the BAM portal is installed was changed to and that is the URL we were using to browse to the portal. But after the change nobody bothered to tell BAM. I updated the global property in the XML file to:

<GlobalProperty Name=”BAMVRoot></GlobalProperty>


 Then reimported the configuration file by running:


bm.exe update-config -FileName:bamconfig.xml


 And it all started working again. Hope this helps other poor souls.

BizTalk Server

Over 500+ customers across
30+ countries depend on BizTalk360

Learn More

Manage and monitor serverless
components effortlessly

Learn More
Business Users

Monitor your Business Activity in iPaaS
or Hybrid integration solutions

Learn More

Back to Top